Hi Kenneth

Em 05/08/2017 19:26, Kenneth Hanson escreveu:
> Olivier,
>
> Thanks for trying to explain this to me. I'm not certain I understand,
> so I'll try to confirm.
>
> It sounds like there isn't a concrete plan for the content of the
> documentation website, which is why it mostly duplicates the download
> options on the main website and wiki right now.

The plan is to have a focal point for download of community
documentation products, in order to increase the visibility and
effectiveness of the work done by documentation volunteers while
supporting users with the right information. By having ease access to
documentation web page we also expect to spark interest of the community
at large to contribute to documentation and be part of a community.

The community is multilingual, multinational and driven by volunteers.
Not every national LibreOffice website follows the contents, internal
URLs and organization of the English website, which turns the
documentation URL in these sites hard to follow.

> But it sounds like the documentation website is intended to be the
> primary source for guide downloads and similar documents.

yes.

 In this case,
> I think the next step is to remove the download links from the main
> website's "documentation" page, and replace them with links to the
> documentation website, help website, and wiki.

Yes, and it depends on the national communities decision to make it.
Some communities made it happen, others didn't. Some communities are
very active, others are dormant.

> Then we can work on the publication website. Again, I'm happy to help
> with this, but how do we edit it? The wiki page
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Guides_Website
> <https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Guides_Website> is
> incomplete.

My fault. I'll amend the doc wiki page on this. Please follow
instructions of https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Website . Poke me
when you get a login.

> As for the wiki, my guess is that in the short term we should leave it
> alone, since this page does make it very easy to find everything while
> the other websites are in flux.
>
> Moving onwards...
>
>     > I don't know who's in charge of the websites or what the plans are, but
> the
>     > current situation is a mess...which I'm happy to help clean up if it's
>     > something anyone can do.
>
>     Thanks for the initiative, much appreciated. No one is actually "in
>     charge", pages are created by the community members so everybody is "in
>     charge", including removing SPAM and caring on the accuracy of the
>     information. That is the way TDF wiki works.
>

> I think I understand what you mean by this from reading the the thread
> "simplifying documentation". Okay, so no one holds any formal
> responsibility. I didn't mean to imply that. (For me at least, the
> meaning of "in charge" is loose enough to include temporary volunteers.)

yes

> What I want to know is who is working on the website, which does not
> seem to have open editing. Based on that other thread, it seems that
> this would be the "infrastructure" team. Is this correct?

Almost, the infrastructure team supports the service but does not deal
with the contents (well sort of, it must be related to LibreOffice). The
list of national communities names is here:

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Website/Web_Sites_services#International_Sites

>     > Aside: design-wise the doc website also seems rather questionable to
> me, and
>     > hard to navigate. Giant text, giant graphical tiles for links, giant
> inline
>     > pictures, collapsing content instead of sidebar nav. But that's a topic
> for
>     > another time.
>
>     Please feel free to suggest another layout/color/design. As said above,
>     it was conceived to be a download point for published community
>     documents, and not a documentation (contents) website per-se.
>

> I have an idea in my head, but it will take some time to spell it out,
> so I'll do that in a new thread when I get a chance.

You are most welcome to show your ideas. Really.

Kind regards and a big thanks.

--
Olivier Hallot
LibreOffice Documentation Coordinator