Yeah, that's tricky.  I sympathize.  DocumentHelper should have that
function as well, but doesn't.  I may be that if you copy elements
created from DocumentHelper into a document created by DocumentFacory
that has the binding, then it'll work.  You may have to run some tests,
cus I don't recall.  This may be another reason why I opted to remove
all the namespaces.

You may want to make a function that does some of the XPath work for you
and just set the mappings on the XPath expression.
--Evan