On Tuesday 30 Mar 2010, Peter Merchant wrote:
> http://www.infosecurity-magazine.com/view/8357/digital-economy-bill-protest
> s-spread-across-the-uk/

Yes, but that report is nearly a week old, so the momentum has been lost.  The
LibDems were the only major party opposing the bill.  Now they've decided to
support it, it's a shoo-in, so it doesn't really matter how many protests
there are.

I just hope the LibDems are right and the process of kicking serial infringers
will be fair and just.  My worry is that we end up in the same situation as in
the US where individuals get letters threatening legal action and have to
decided between paying the money to the protection racketeers or facing years
in court and the millions of $ that that entails, even if they win!.  Even
when the money for defence is provided pro bono (eg out of the coffers of some
support organisation), the victim can get hammered (and that takes no account
of the stress and time involved in the process).

See
http://www.mediapost.com/publications/?fa=Articles.showArticle&art_aid=124929
for a couple of examples, where the defendants had help and were still hit for
huge damage awards.  There was also the woman who had never used a computer
who got successfully sued (the computer belonged to her late husband) and the
12 year old girl who got the threatening letter.

I realise that British justice is nowhere near as unjust as the US variety,
but bad things do happen.  This law needs debating to prevent those kind of
situations ever being possible.

                64 bit computing with Kubuntu Linux

--
Next meeting: Bournemouth, Wed 2010-04-07 20:00
http://dorset.lug.org.uk/     http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=2645413