Would you believe that Konsole is now working normally, but I didn't find out
until I got to the end of the process.  I'm going to send this anyway, because
I have some related queries along the way and the answers would be useful for
future reference.

On Sunday 16 May 2010, Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> > I then tried to launch 'Console' which also appears in the KDE Launch
> > Menu.  Same result.  I was then able to go into a Virtual Console
> > (ALT/CTRL F*) and make my changes without any problems.
>
> At that VT, try
>
>     DISPLAY=:0 xterm -ls
>
> and then switch back and see if an xterm has appeared.  If it has, you

It did.

> could try running `konsole' in that to see if any messages give a clue.

Well I got Konsole up and running with some errors being logged.  I can't work
out how to capture the messages to put them here.  There is quite a bit.

> you could also see if
>
>     strace -f -e trace=execve konsole
>
> sheds any light on whether it runs /bin/bash, and if it fails, what the
> return value is.

I get page-fulls of errors with this.  Again, can I capture the messages into
file or something?

> In that xterm,
>
>     echo $$
>
> will tell you the process ID of the shell that's running.  If you do

Which it did.

>     /bin/bash
>
> in it then it should start a new shell as a child.  To confirm,
>
>     echo $$ $PPID
>
> should print a new PID and the parent PID, which will be the previous
> PID printed.  Enter `exit' to quit that subshell.  If there's no errors
> with any of this then it suggests /bin/bash isn't the problem.

Which it did.

> See if there's anything at the end of ~/.xsession-errors.

Well there was, but now I discover that it's all working again.  I've rebooted
since the problem this morning.  As the Yanks would say 'Go figure'!

                64 bit computing with Kubuntu Linux

--
Next meeting: C4L and Bournemouth, Wednesday 2010-06-02 19:00
http://dorset.lug.org.uk/     http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=2645413