On Mon, 2010-05-31 at 09:57 +0100, Sean Gibbins wrote:

> > hey Peter, maybe you could find a manufacturer's BIOS upgrade for the
> > box? I mean short of wirecutters. Or perhaps a good clean would take
> > some of the load off the fan because temperatures in the core would be
> > lower/fan would meet less resistance?
> >

> Or replace the fan with something from QuietPC?
>
> Sometimes the bearings just get knackered with use combined with an
> uneven distribution of dust on the blades and as such need replacing.
> That said a good clean does cut the noise from my Shuttle's fans
> considerably.
>
> http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/home

I just stuck my fingers into the processor fan and stopped it, The main
noise is from the Power supply fans, And I replaced the original PSU
with a 'quiet' one from Maplin some time ago.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=98736#features

I don't think that the PSU fans are controllable, but I do wonder if
both are needed. ( warranty, who worries about those?)

While I had the machine stopped a moment ago, I did give the fans and
heatsink a dusting out, but no noticeable effect.

Think I'll live with it.  Can't justify replacing the PSU with one from
QuietPC at the moment.

Peter

--
Next meeting: C4L and Bournemouth, Wednesday 2010-06-02 19:00
http://dorset.lug.org.uk/     http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=2645413