On 27/09/10 16:52, Natalie Hooper wrote:
Seems like ArchLinux is great for old hardware but not really suitable for
my spanking new hardware ;-)

I run it on old and new hardware, and it works well on both ;)
Having said that, I'm also looking to change my Linux distro on my Dell
netbook - currently, I've got Ubuntu but I find it bloated so I've been
looking at Jolicloud and PuppyLinux, as well as Ubuntu Netbook edition of
course, but should ArchLinux be a candidate as well? My Dell netbook is
"old" for a netbook, as I bought it the second month Dell ever did netbooks
and of course, netbooks aren't really powerful to start with (compared to
current laptops) so I guess ArchLinux might be suitable for it, assuming it
copes well with the netbook environment (can I install it from a USB stick
for instance?).

Sure you can!

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Install_from_a_USB_flash_drive

Another one to watch is http://crunchbanglinux.org/ which is currently making a transition from an Ubuntu remix to a Debian-based distro. The last release was really nice, but it's quite old now, and the transition is delaying the new release quite a bit.

--
Next meeting:  Bournemouth? TBD, Wednesday 2010-10-06 20:00