Hi Peter,

> $ lspci -vmmnn | awk 'BEGIN {RS = ""}
> /Vendor:[^[]+*\[14e4\]/ {print $0, "\n"}'
> Slot: 00:0a.0
> Class:        Network controller [0280]
> Vendor:       Broadcom Corporation [14e4]
> Device:       BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller [4320]
> SVendor:      Wistron NeWeb Corp. [185f]
> SDevice:      Device [1220]
> Rev:  03

Discussion on #dorset, particuarly thanks to John Carlyle-Clarke,
suggested that this is supported by the b43 driver.  This was based on
http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Devices/PCI, select PCI vendor of
0x14e4 and PCI product 0x4320 to filter.  Then looking for a PCI
Subvendor of 0x185f (based on your output above) gives just one match,

                              Form    PCI     PCI     PCI        PCI
    Driver  Vendor   Product  factor  vendor  product subvendor  subsystem
    b43     Linksys  WMP54G   PCI     0x14e4  0x4320  0x185f     0x1220

and that matches on the PCI Subsystem too.

Then http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#Known_PCI_devices
has three entries for 14e4:4320.  One's USB and can be ignored.  The
other two vary depending on the chip you have; BCM4306/2 or BCM4306/3.
We guess that the `Rev:  03' you machine gives above means you've the
latter.  The Modes and PHY version being `?' is somewhat disconcerting
but documentation is so often out of date.  :-)

> there's a lovely little switch on the laptop that turns the Wi-Fi on
> and off...
> So I suppose that I've actually asked the wrong question, what I
> should have asked is "How do I find out what input / signal the
> processor sees when I press the shiny button

Consensus was that this bit will "just work".  These buttons tend to be
part of ACPI.  Pressing them will cause an interrupt that filters up
through the kernel and pops out into userspace, probably through
/proc/acpi/event where it will cause something appropriate to happen.
As a start to checking this you could do

    cat /proc/interrupts

then press and release the button and then repeat that command.  Has the
count of the number of interrupts increased by one for any likely
looking interrupt source?

Cheers,
Ralph.

--
Next meeting:  Blandford Forum, Wednesday 2011-03-02 20:00