On 15/08/13 12:20, Terry Coles wrote:
On Thursday 15 Aug 2013 10:08:51 Paul Stenning wrote:

Dell also have the Vostro range of laptops and desktops which are
intended for smaller businesses.  They are better made than the
Inspirons and don't have the Latitude features that only larger
corporates will want.  My main client has a number of Vostro laptops and
desktops, and they are well made and reliable.
FWIW, my company supplied laptop is a Vostro.  It seems slick and responsive,
but my model is
a bit heavy and bulky by modern standards.

I don't know whether they are a good choice for Linux though.
I've never tried to install Linux on my Vostro, but when the hard disk failed
while I was on a
Hebridean island 60 miles from any road, (let alone shops), I used the Redo
Backup Live disc to
get me a (wired) network connection and access to a browser, which got me onto
my webmail
account.

The wireless didn't work, but considering that Redo is intended as a backup
solution, not a
rescue disc as such (and certainly not a full blown live distro), I think that
there is a good
chance that the wireless will work.

If you're interested, I'll stick a Ubuntu Live disc in and see what happens.

Terry

It would be nice to know if it runs Linux and if the wireless card works without a lot of fiddling, remembering the problems I had with this laptop.
Would the Redo disk work if M$ is not available?

Can't afford a new Dell so if going down that route it would have to be second hand. May take a 'Live Disk' to Novatech and try it out on their laptops. Have a trip up the Tower while there?

--
Clive Wills