Hi Terry,

> The thing is that my mail client (KMail) has mailing list support, so
> a simple 'Reply' works.  However, if the user clicks 'Reply-to-All',
> then presumably two messages get sent; one to the list and one direct
> to the originator of the list.

Yep.  On heavily loaded and so slow lists, this tends to be desirable;
the conversation between the main parties, From, To, and CC, isn't
stilted by the delay imposed by the list software.

> but all I've ever done is click 'Reply' and the message went back to
> the list and then got distributed by the list-bot.

Sounds like they munged reply-to.

> So what happens if someone who hasn't got mailing list support clicks
> 'Reply'?  Does the message only go to the originator?

Yep.  Which is the same behaviour they're used to when replying to
non-list email so they're less likely to mistakenly send a private reply
to everyone.

If you want Mailman to spot you've been sent a copy directly and so not
send you the official list version, try setting the "no duplicates"
option.  http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/mailman-member/node21.html

Cheers, Ralph.