On 30 September 2014 at 15:30 Andrew Montgomery-Hurrell
<darkliq...@darkliquid.co.uk> wrote:

>  If they already use Microsoft Office (and especially if they already
> subscribe to Office 365) then Yammer is a service that is specifically
> designed to be a corporate social network at the Office 365 Mid-Size Business
> tier. I've never used it though and naturally it's a service, not something
> you can run yourself on your own hardware.

We are looking for a solution that can be hosted within our Corporate network,
preferably on Linux servers.

>  I've had some brief exposure to Atlassians Confluence software, which you can
> buy to self-host or pay for monthly per user as a service and it seems pretty
> good, though like all things it has a bit of a learning curve. I've only
> barely used it though, so can't say much about it other than people I work
> with have given it very high praise. It's probably better if you buy into the
> rest of Atlassian's suite of tools like Jira and Hipchat, etc but by itself I
> don't imagine it's too bad.

I don't think having to pay is the issue; it's about having it hosted on our
network.

>  Speaking of Hipchat, that might actually fit the bill. It's basically an IRC
> style private chatroom client, but depending on the plans you get (and you can
> even use it for free with unlimited users if I recall) when you attach images
> or files to messages, they stay in the system so they can be referred back to,
> at least for a time. If what they need is something more real-time rather than
> a long-term document storage/sharing system, then that might work out well for
> them. I use hipchat extensively at work for communicating with my team,
> sharing files, talking to clients, holding meetings, etc and find I rarely use
> anything else for sharing things, getting feedback or collaborating on
> projects. I can highly recommend it, and since you can trial it for free, if
> it sounds like it might fit the bill, I'd encourage you to investigate it. We
> also use their dev API to feed in info from our various monitoring tools for
> servers, software builds, support tickets, etc so it acts a company-wide
> notification system as well as shared communications platform.

Thanks for the ideas.  We will be investigating all of them.

Anyone come across Zimbra (http://www.zimbra.com/)?