Well, tried all suggestions with little return except I tried my DVD on our desktop machine and it worked! So the DVD is a good one so why does it not work on the laptop, which it the same drive it was burned on?
I still can't re-install the new copy of Mint until I get a DVD that works.

Peter delivered a copy of the KDE version but I've never got on well with KDE (could not get the wireless to work properly on the live disk).

C A Wills

/Supporting Linux & Open Source/
//