On Sat, 04 Feb 2023 07:00:27 +0000, Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> You email has a byte with the value 0x80 after the semicolon in the
> Categories line, rendered as ASCII above, by the time it reaches
> here.
>
> Is it in the .desktop file or did it get added somewhere between
> there and here?  If it's in the file, perhaps that's stopping it
> being fully processed?

The <80> is not in the file. In the file, the byte after the semicolon
is 0x0A; a newline.

> The email has ‘Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit’ so that eighth bit
> did well to get here, and the software badly for letting it.  It's
> the only top-bit-set byte.

The message in my 'Sent' has 'Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64'

Decoding this, the character after the semicolon is a null byte 0x00,
followed by the two expected newlines (0x0A). That's a bit weird.

With some experimentation, I found that the null byte comes from
KMail's "Add quote characters" feature. Oh dear. I don't think it is
supposed to do that.

It looks like KMail decides it can't use 7bit encoding because of the
null byte, so it uses base64 encoding instead. Normally it defaults to
7bit.

I don't know whether a null byte is technically valid in a base64-
encoded email, but it does seem unorthodox.

I assume the list server is receiving my base64 and turning it into
7bit, but somehow the 0x00 becomes 0x80.

Patrick