Timo Sirainen schrieb:
On 5.1.2010, at 13.55, Charles Marcus wrote:

In other words, would you really have to remember to run dovecot -n -c
per your example above?

I ask because I've never used it with a config file in a non-default
location.

If this is correct, I would consider it a bug - dovecot -n should know
which config file it is using, and outout accordingly.

How would it know what config file Dovecot is using? The config file needs to be read before it even knows where the base_dir is.
> What if there are multiple Dovecots running? The main problem
> here is that Ubuntu for some reason decided to use dovecot-postfix.conf
> instead of the default dovecot.conf..

Depends on the package that is installed:

t...@mail2:~$ apt-cache search dovecot
dovecot-common - secure mail server that supports mbox and maildir mailboxes
dovecot-dev - header files for the dovecot mail server
dovecot-imapd - secure IMAP server that supports mbox and maildir mailboxes
dovecot-pop3d - secure POP3 server that supports mbox and maildir mailboxes
dovecot-postfix - full mail server stack provided by Ubuntu server team

The package "dovecot-postfix" installs and uses dovecot-postfix.conf but
unfortunately also puts the default dovecot.conf in /etc/dovecot
(driving everyone crazy who blindly follows howtos editing
dovecot.conf). Highly recommended to remove/rename dovecot.conf in this
configuration.

Thomas