On 30 Apr 2021, at 01:20, Arjen de Korte <build+dove...@de-korte.org> wrote:
> Citeren "@lbutlr" <krem...@kreme.com>:
>
>> When you enter your email address, it would be TRIVIAL to check the MX
>> records for the domain and fill those in for the SMTP and IMAP servers,
>> allowing users to more easily add (if needed) the domain prefix.
>>
>> No one does this.
>
> Rightfully so. There is absolutely no guarantee that the server on the
> inbound (MX) record also handles outbound and/or IMAP. In many cases, these
> will be different systems.

It is very very common. It's been at least a decade since I saw a configuration
in which the SMTP/IMAP servers were on a different domain than the MX domain.

NB: I am not saying that if the MX is mail.example.net "mail.example.net"
should be filled in, but that "example.net" should be pre-populated with the
opportunity to add, say "IMAP." To the beginning.

--
'Charity ain't giving people what you wants to give, it's giving
        people what they need to get.'