Hello all,

I want to provide a brief overview regarding various questions surrounding
features that are being removed from Dovecot CE going forward.

We are currently working on providing updated/improved website info and
documentation that will better explain exactly what is being maintained in CE.
However, the desire to have unified messaging clashes with the Engineering
Team's desire to continue to push code to the open source repository when it is
ready...

So I want to educate on just a few points here, with the promise that further
information will be provided in the future.

A reminder that Dovecot is commercial software, and has been since Timo made
this decision 13 years ago.  Dovecot is not maintained by a community of
volunteers.  We continue to be lucky that Timo remains Dovecot's Chief
Architect today, but there are 20 dedicated Dovecot employees, plus additional
Open-Xchange support staff, that are working on the software everyday.  This is
carrier-grade software, which requires significant resources to maintain.

Dovecot CE is the open source version of this commercial product (currently,
Dovecot Pro).  Dovecot CE is not a separate project - it is maintained as part
of the day-to-day maintenance of Pro.

Every single person that works for Dovecot/OX is extremely proud and dedicated
to releasing as much software as we can to open source.  CE is able to take
advantage of this situation to provide features that would not be allowed in a
purely voluntary project (for example, there are 5 full time QA people working
on what is eventually released as Dovecot CE).

However, there remains a delicate balance of what we can openly release and
what we need to be able to commercially provide in order to keep the lights on
(which allows us to continue to provide open releases...).  This is a difficult
juggling act, and is one that is always prone to recalibration in any open
software product, not just Dovecot.

Dovecot CE has always been 100% open source, and will continue to be so.
Nothing is changing in the future.  Dovecot CE has been, and will always
continue to be, fully compliant with open source principles (see
https://opensource.org/osd/).

For a variety of software, maintenance, and (yes) business reasons, there comes
a time when decisions need to be made to move beyond existing software.  This
is completely normal in software development, and there is no "open source"
duty to continue to maintain software that is no longer useful (or, is broken
or is unmaintained or is not longer best practices or is no longer commercially
viable or is duplicative of other features that exist or ....)  That decision
is what is being done for a selection of longstanding Dovecot features.  It is
time to move on from them.  There are valid reasons to do so.

If you disagree: the software is open source.  You can continue to use the
existing software, adapt it to your needs, move to a different solution, or
whatever else.

To focus development efforts, and to provide extreme clarity for users going
forward, Dovecot CE for the first time has adopted a defined Vision Statement:
"To provide the world's premier open source, standards compliant,
full-featured, single node email backend server."  This vision formulation was
made to ensure that CE users continue to receive world class, stable, tested,
modern, secure email software going forward.  Maintaining features that have
existed since the mid-2000s (replication, Directors), at the expense of moving
the software forward to adapt to new paradigms (cloud, containers,
storage-layer replication, statelessness) is not the proper choice.

These Dovecot CE feature decisions are mine.  If you are unhappy with them, I
ask that you direct your vitriol directly (and privately) to me.  The Dovecot
Team does fantastic work and has provided software, under open source
principles, that runs millions of email servers around the world.  They
continue to provide invaluable feedback internally in determining the proper
balance between open and commercial considerations.  They deserve to be thanked
by the community, not vilified.

michael