The googlespell gets the wsdl file from Google's site, not locally (I couldn't get it to work using the local wsdl).  And, it's running in the context of the explorer.exe which controls the desktop and taskbar.  Not sure if it's possible to change this.
Now this works ! One small drawback : my personal firewall tells me explorer.exe (*not* iexplore.exe) tries to access the web (some google IP address on port 80). Quite foreseeable actually, but is there any way to change this to iexplore.exe, which is usually allowed to access port 80 ?