Garey Barrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> made an utterance to the drakelist gang
Rob -

Certainly looks like tubes.... Have you tried turning down the bias (towards 0 volts)?

I can't think of anything else to try.  Let us know what happens!

73, Garey - K4OAH
Atlanta

Drake B & C-Line Service CDs
<http://www.k4oah.com>

R. Ton wrote:
"R. Ton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> made an utterance to the drakelist gang
Garey-

It's sure looking like the tubes, odd as that seems.  Here
are the readings I'm getting (measured at the tube socket):

  Pin 1 - 255VDC RX, 247VDC TX
  Pin 2 - -58 VDC
  Pin 3 - 155VDC RX, 0VDC TX
  Pin 4, 5 - Filaments (good - tubes light, get hot, RX works)
  Pin 6 - -58 VDC (Same as pin 2)
  Pin 7 - 255VDC RX, 247VDC TX  (Same as pin 1)
  Pin 8 - Ground
  Plate cap - 748VDC (+/- 1VDC, all 3)

Definately agree that all three tubes would have to be open to
draw no current, but there doesn't seem to be another explanation.
It sure seems odd.  Almost impossible, even.  You would think
that opening the meter shunt resistor would actually protect
the tubes -- they were obviously drawing plenty of current
when the resistor blew.  Not knowing the history of this rig
though, it's hard to say.

I pulled the tubes -- nothing obvious to be seen there.  The
above readings were taken after I put the tubes back in.  Wish
like heck I had a spare set to try, but I now have a set on
order.  (BTW -- I've never dealt with Antique Electronic
Supply - tubesandmore.com before, but if anyone's interested,
they have 6JB6A's on 'sale' for $14.60 apiece until 5/14 and
claim they'll match them for $1.25 apiece.)  A tube sale???

So... unless someone sees something wierd with the voltage
readings, I guess I'm waiting on tubes.  Oh... also
checked the meter switch on the load control -- it ohms
out fine.  The factory selected resistor (R13) in this
rig is 39 ohms.

Many thanks again!

73, Rob (KFØRT)