Garey,

Thanks for the info. I'll try another 6EV7 as a first attempt at a cure. One
other thing I failed to mention earlier, it may sound trivial, but, I've
noticed that the connecting cables RCA plugs over the years have oxidized or
become tarnished. Should this be a concern for proper operation not only for
this problem, but for general operation?

Bill, WB9CAC

Garey Barrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Garey Barrell  made an utterance to the drakelist gang
Bill -

Bias voltage is relied on to open the relay by cutting off the 6EV7
relay tube and if that voltage is low because of leaky electrolytics or
ripple in the Bias supply in the AC-3/4., the tube doesn't cut off as
quickly.  Since you have eliminated the supply, another possibility is
that the 6EV7 is slightly gassy, which again causes tube to want to
continue conducting after it is told to cut off, especially after long
transmissions!  Yet another possibility is that the final tubes are
dropping in emission, which requires you to set the bias voltage more
positive to set the idle current to the proper value, again resulting in
reduced negative voltage to cut off the 6EV7.  Lastly, there are several
very high value carbon composition resistors in the biasing for the VOX.
ANTI-VOX and Relay circuits that can increase in value with age,
resulting in insufficient cut off bias for the 6EV7.

A rule de thumb is that the bias voltage at the Final grids is typically
-60 to -65VDC for nominal idle current.

Let us know what you find!

Drake 2-B, 4-B & C-Line Service Supplement CDs