"Dan Ringer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> made an utterance to the drakelist gang
On 4 Jul 2008 at 7:35, EP Swynar wrote:

> Hi Dan,
>
> Sounds like "...sound advice" (pun intended!) to me...
>
> I shall do exactly that, probably later to-day.
>
> Thanks for the note, & my vy
>
> ~73!~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ
>
> PS: Were these amplified D-104 mics some sorta hang-over from the old
> "...louder-is-better" CB days...?!

Let us know how it works out, Eddy.

Amplified microphones became popular in the late 70's and early 80's,
concurrent with, and perhaps because of the "CB Craze":

The amateur radio version of all this was that some of the "ricebox" rigs,
needed higher audio input to operate .  They started using preamplifiers at
the microphone input to get it.  Some did it by putting the preamp in the
microphone (Icom) others put it in the rig.

The CB version was that "power mics" were good and the louder you were
the, uh, louder you were.  This was not a completely untrue thought. Good
modulation is, . . . good, but easily abused.

In any event, the Drake transmitters (and probably transceivers, but I've
never use one) responded well to some of the then current microphones,
including the unamplified Astatic D-104's.  That's what I use on my T4XB,
with good results.  I use a Heil 781 microphone through a Behringer 802
preamp/mixer.eq on my Icom 740 to get an equivalent result.  Clearly Drake
had a better idea!

Dan, K8WV
Darrell (Dan) Ringer
Attorney at Law
ABA Solo Practitioner of the Year
Past-President, WV State Bar
WV Lawyer of the Year
Fellow, WV Bar Foundation
823 Fairmont Road
Morgantown, WV 26501
304-292-1999   FAX 304-292-3372
=====
Watch THE LAW WORKS (http://www.thelawworks.org)
on WV Public Television, Thursdays at 8:30 p.m.
=====