Ron -

Nope, the 0.5 V sets 100 mA for the TR-(any). Remember that the AC-3 was designed for the TR-3, before there were any T-4X(any)! The correct TP setting is 0.35 (.070 * 5) for the T-4X series.

I still like the meter to read as accurately as possible (for a $1 meter!) at least at 0.70 A.

Any "good" _silicon_ diode will have a forward bias of 0.6 to 0.7V. Perhaps you were looking at a germanium (0.2-0.3V), or a Schottky (0.3-0.4).

Marking isn't a bad idea. You certainly want to turn the pot slowly until you KNOW which way the current is going!

Drake 2-B, 4-B, C-Line&  TR-4/C Service Supplement CDs
<www.k4oah.com>

Ron wrote:
Garey,
I love the idea of the diode, but I would guess 2 series diodes would be
better.  The TRany requires .5 volts at the TP.  I seen to remember a couple
times when diodes seemed to have lower than ~.6 volts drop.  Maybe they were
schotchy diodes or something.  Just remember thinking they were suspect.

I also used a permanent marker to mark the min/max bias setting on the bias
pot.  Since I set the bias so infrequently, I can never remember which way to
go.

73,
Ron WD8SBB