Geoffrey I think the real issue here is that with proper care taken during
preparation you can successfully use a water method to clean your Drake
equipment and bring them back to an almost new appearance. With proper
planning, preparation, patience and care this process will yield very
successful results.

Does that include a dishwasher, well that would take preparation on the part of
the person thinking of using a dishwasher, will the water leave more behind
than it takes off? That's planning and preparation. Will this method cause
damage to your equipment? Again, that's planning and preparation by making sure
you protect those items that water will damage like meters and such.

Like they say, "secrets in the sauce" with this method there really is no
secret with exception of those things mentioned; Planning, Preparation,
Patience, and care.

There are some guys I've met who just have a gift in repairing equipment,
almost supernatural! I know one guy who 50% of the repair cases I've seen him
work on he was successful without having schematic just because he knows what
he's doing and has the patience to methodically work though problems and uses
the process of symptoms to evaluate and correct issues. This is the same
procedure we all need to use when tackling restoration projects. Like testing
the radio before dissembling it to make sure it works before the cleaning
process to minimize chasing your tail thinking the water did something when
actually it had nothing to do with the water.

All the best Geoffrey and now let the debate of water vs no water began...
again  ;-)

-.. . WA6HYQ