From: drakelist-boun...@zerobeat.net
[mailto:drakelist-boun...@zerobeat.net] On Behalf Of Garey
Barrell
Sent: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 9:49 AM
To: drakelist@zerobeat.net
Subject: Re: [Drakelist] CONVERSION OF T-4s RAISES QUESTION

Lee -

A T-4 was an early 4 Series transmitter that had no PTO or
BAND Oscillator.  It was only able to transmit in TRANSCEIVE
under RCVR control with an R-4(any), or under  crystal
control.  There is a photo of one on the front cover of the
T-4X manual, and the schematic is in the back of the manual.
It's essentially a schematic of the T-4X with a
couple of large white spaces!  :-)   It was sold for a while
with a
stacking cabinet to make a 'transceiver' with more receiver
features than a TR-4.

They were originally sold with the 'feature' that they could
be 'upgraded' at the factory by adding a PTO and BAND
Oscillator with a new front panel.  I think it sold for $270
as opposed to $380 for the T-4X.
It just occurred to me, I wonder if it had anything to do
with the NOVICE prohibition against transmitter VFOs.  I
don't recall if that prohibition was still around in
1961...??

The photo was on the front panel of the T-4XB manual, and I
have seen ONE T-4B, but I doubt if more than 300-400 of both
models were sold, if that.  We just saw one here that had a
serial number of 254, and it was an 'end of life' convert
according to Bill Frost.

Drake 2-B, 2-C/2-NT, 4-A, 4-B, C-Line
and TR-4/C Service Supplement CDs
<www.k4oah.com>

kc9...@aol.com wrote:
> I thougt a T4 was a T4, what is the conversion you speak
about?

<n...@frontiernet.net>; drakelist
> <drakelist@zerobeat.net>
> Sent: Tue, Mar 15, 2011 9:30 pm
> Subject: Re: [Drakelist] CONVERSION OF T-4s RAISES
QUESTION

> If I could find a decent T-4 I'd buy it in a heartbeat....
>
> 73/Paul, K4MSG
>

> In a message dated 3/15/2011 9:26:49 P.M. Eastern Daylight
Time,
> k...@merschrod.net writes:
> Hello, the conversion of the T-4s at Drake and also by
Drake for
> customers raises the question of  "Just how many T-4
reciters of both
> the w and w/o speakers are there out there?"
>
> I enjoy the T-4 with the R-4 - nice and simple.  Bill's
0018 has to be
> one of the earliest "alive." that has been converted.
>
> Kris KM2KM
>
> Merschrod
> 123 Warren Road
> Ithaca, NY 14850
> www.merschrod.net

numbers. Mine is
> 0018 and
>> I had it converted to a T-4X when I sent the unit in for
a repair.

built as a T-4
>> reciter.
>> The T-4 was not a big seller, so somewhere around the end
of  the
> life of
>> the
>> T-4X, the T-4's that were in stock, where unpacked and
converted
>> into T-4X's by
>>
>> adding the VFO sub-assembly.  The serial number  stayed
the same, as