To: <drakelist@zerobeat.net>
Sent: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 1:06 PM
Subject: Re: [Drakelist] CONVERSION OF T-4s RAISES QUESTION

Terrell and others -

OK, thanks. I got my Novice in 1957, but didn't know how long the prohibition lasted. I got my General about four months after my Novice, so didn't have to worry about it! :-)

I knew the 2-NT was definitely addressed to the crystal controlled Novice licensee, and has a '75 Watt' input mark on the PLATE meter. I don't think the T-4 had that mark, and that made me doubt a little!

MANY of us built our first transmitter out of old TV parts in those days. I was flush, I had TWO crystals in the 80M Novice band. My 'receiver' was a BC-454 'ARC-5', and the IF was just about as wide as the Novice band. The entire band was about 1/8" wide on the dial, so didn't have to tune much......

Drake 2-B, 2-C/2-NT, 4-A, 4-B, C-Line
and TR-4/C Service Supplement CDs
<www.k4oah.com>

Terrell Hamilton wrote:
Garey:

In 1960, I was a NOVICE (WN6BTS) and there was, indeed, a prohibition
against using VFO's.  All novice license holders had to use only crystal
controlled Xmitters. I made mine out of old TV parts and a 6146, grinding
down some old crystals with sandpaper that older hams had given me.

Terry K7WLD
Wenatchee, WA