Kris,

Over the years I've serviced lots of electronic equipment from Televisions to
Satellite Earth  Stations and I've used both methods from an air hose to clean
cat hair and dust from television circuit boards to antistatic vacuum for
cleaning satellite equipment, both do their jobs and for this application both
will probably be needed, especially if you have a very thick layer of soot.

Once you get the "BIG" chunks off and remove as much loose particles as
possible I'd probably  use a variac and see if I could bring power up on the
unit and attempt to test it, using extreme caution and being careful to watch
for any sign of issues (sizzling, popping, smoke, flames etc.), monitor A/C
current and voltage, also watching the internal wiring for any changes.

Once tested, remove all power and then I'd bathe the whole unit in simple green
and let it set for maybe 30 minutes, scrub those areas with a short bristle
brush to loosen any crud, watching it closely. Following the simple green I'd
use a sprayer (could be power washer [my preferred method], hose, dishwasher
[making sure no dish soap or rinsing agent], Car Wash, yea I've done it but..)
and wash it off making sure you've got all areas clear and clean from any
simple green. You can repeat the simple green and rinse if needed. Once
satisfied using an air hose blow out all the water you can, take your time to
do a perfect job watching those areas that are sensitive, when you think it's
done take one more pass just to make sure. Now you bake the unit at about
150-200 degrees in the oven for at least 2 days, watching and monitoring the
oven temp making sure it doesn't get to hot. Remember, don't cut this procedure
short because water can get into small areas and you may not see it, but the
baking process will remove it.

Once you're done your unit should look like brand new and you can began the
process to bring it up on a variac testing the unit to make sure issues were
not created by the cleaning process and then restoration can began.

As I've stated on this reflector before, this process I witnessed being used at
Hewlett Packard in Fullerton many years ago and it's served me well. If it's
good for HP and the equipment they service it should be good for Drake
radios... ;-)

73's,

WA6HYQ