On Jun 16, 2011, at 6:13 PM, Garey Barrell wrote:

> Essentially, Drake came along and found less expensive ways to emulate the
> Collins equipment and circuitry to make it more affordable for the 'average'
> ham.  Drake was just the reverse of Collins, i.e., the majority of their
> business was with hams, with a small (if any?) government segment.  Heath did
> somewhat the same, although they went a little too far, in my opinion, and
> ended up with a product that felt 'cheap' and flimsy, compared even to the
> Drake.  Drake was not fancy, but WAS and IS solid in construction.

Well put, Garey. I've personally always considered Collins the gear for the
"rich man" while Drake was the gear for "everyman."

Tom
--
Tom Swisher, WA8PYR

 "A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their
own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of
labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government." - Thomas
Jefferson