----- Original Message ----- From: "Ron" <wd8...@yahoo.com> To: <k4...@mindspring.com>; <drakelist@zerobeat.net>; "john" <joh...@nc.rr.com>
Sent: Thursday, June 16, 2011 2:26 PM
Subject: Re: [Drakelist] Collins and Drake Compared

I came into this as computers were making a mark on the electronic industry and taking away the appeal of ham radio so I may have this a little wrong.

I recall being told that Collins radio equipment was manufactured for the government at a time when money was flowing easy. Drake on the other hand did manufacture items for the government, but their radios were primarily for the ham radio consumer market.

If true, then John's statements ring very clearly.

Was I told wrong?

73,
Ron WD8SBB

I am not sure what Drake manufactured beside the ham radio stuff but they did make some commercial radio gear. Collins began as a garage shop run by Art Collins. During the depression he began by selling custom built radio tranmitters to the wealthier hams, and there _were_ wealthy people even during the depression. Collins always built his stuff to a very high level of perfection and finish. It was sold as much for prestigue as for performance. At some point he began to build equipment for the airlines and broadcasting, all of very high quality. At some point he developed the "Autotune" system, an automated method of tuning transmitters to a given frequency by means of pre-set servo motors. This system became very popular among the airline users since they needed to have frequency agile circuits. From that it was a natural transision to military equipment especially stuff for aircraft. The famous ART-13 is an example of an Autotune transmitter made for aircraft use. As others found government contracts could be enormously profitable. For one thing they were reliable, the bills would be payed, and they could be quite large. Once the defense industry got going, shortly before WW-2, there was an enormous expansion of industries catering to it. A number of businesses were created especially to deliver on government contracts (Northrup Aviation is an example). Collins did very well at this. Unlike some others (like Hallicrafters) Collins contract operations continued after the war. He supplied equipment thought vital to maintaining a defense effort and the company made sure to apply innovative design to insure a continuing market. Despite this Art Collins never forgot the ham market that had given him his start, but always filled exactly the same role as when beginning in business; deluxe, state of the art, equipment for those who could afford it. The first Collins ham products after the war featured the new idea of a permeability tuned VFO plus a different method of generating the final working frequencies that allowed an enmormous improvement in stability and dial accuracy over anything else ever offered. Three of these new products were the 75A receiver, the 32V transmitter and the super-deluxe 500 watt 30K-1 transmitter. None of these had any real competition as regards its performance. Hallicrafters was still offering a post-war version of the HT-4, AKA BC-610, at more than $1500. In 1946 this was probably equivalent to $30,000 now. Of course surplus BC-610's were soon available at a fraction of this cost. The 30K was of a similar order of cost but covered all ham bands and had a very stable VFO plus many other features. It was entirely up to date, used late Eimac tubes, and was just a superior machine, if one could afford it. The 75A receivers was the key however, this was a double conversion receiver using the collins permeability tuned VFO, crystal controled first conversion and the now familiar method of tuning with out actual bandswitching. It had a good, low noise front end, and an excellent crystal filter, evidently licensed by Hammarlund. It was ham band only, somewhat unusual at the time. It offered the same sort of performance in terms of stability, noise, and low spurious responses at 10 meters that other receivers could offer only up to about 20 meters and many not there. It was just revolutionary. Other receiver makers quickly began to develop double conversion sets but most of them were based on the conventional tunable first LO and fixed second LO so that stability was as much a problem as with conventional single conversion sets. I think all had problems so that it was a few years before any competition came out. In the mean time Collins kept improving both the receivers and transmitters and quickly picked up on the trend to SSB, which the other big manufacturers did not. However, Collins was always priced right at the top so could be only dreamed of by most hams. That opened a window of opportunity for smaller manufacturers to fill the gap. Drake was one of the more successful of those although Hallicrafters eventually began to make some respectible equipment. However, I think Hallicrafters was always too "consumer" oriented to make really refined stuff and Drake was as refined as Collins was but with a somewhat different set of compromises, namely being affordable and having more than SSB cabability. While the Collins Gold Dust Twins (75A-4 and KWS-1) are capable of good CW performance CW became pretty much an afterthought for the S line. It could do it but, at least at first, not very well. The S-line featured some very new circuit designs, such as the use of triode mixers to reduce noise level. Triode mixers had been known from the beginning of the superhetrodyne but were supplanted by multi-grid tubes because of the latter's much better isolation of the oscillator circuit. However, Collins approach was different than the old one so they were able to get the benifit of low noise mixing while maintaining stability and isolation. This sort of approach kept Collins near the top fo the field but Drake and others were able to adopt advanced circuit design for much lower priced equipment so had the benifit of better affordability. Drake seems to have been able to do this without compromising overall quality, a problem I think Hallicrafters had. I add only that I think the smaller size of Drake probably gave it some flexibility the larger makers did not have. Large size is not always a good thing in a business.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles