I notice the use of sidetones, and receiver muting does not seem to be
commonly used in separate operation on the same frequency. Obviously
sidetone would be needed when operating on different transmit and
receive frequencies.

I have often wondered about the lack of sidetone circuits in vintage
transmitters. I have always had transcievers and sidetone, so it all
just seems odd to me. :-)

73,
Darrell Bellerive
Amateur Radio Station VA7TO