Same here, never had to send any of my present or past Ten Tec's back nor have I had to consult with them concerning service. Present station is the original Orion, early Omni 6+, Titan amp with 1998 date code tubes and a Centurion 3-500Z amp. Having a "friend" who had bad luck with TT service dept is like all the reviews on Eham who have the same story. I will mention a local ham who had to send his Icom 7800 back to Icom twice for final amp failures. I have had two failures with an Icom 703, but both were my fault for using it to check resonance with antennas instead of digging out the MFJ-259, so we all have had good and bad experiences with various gear. Let's get back to the Drake gear, especially since it's been years since you could deal with them for service. I like to think as long as parts for all the vintage gear is available, one will continue to enjoy keeping them on the air.

Robb NĂ˜RU

-----Original Message----- From: Duane Calvin
Sent: Saturday, June 18, 2011 7:59 AM
To: k4...@mindspring.com ; drakelist@zerobeat.net
Subject: Re: [Drakelist] Ten-Tec and Drake Compared

Huh.  Of six different pieces of TT equipment, only one ever needed repair.
That was due to an early life (warranty) fail of a bias transistor, and I
did the service with super help from TT guys.  Two of the units were HF amps
and neither of them had any trouble (other than a 3-500Z grid that fell into
a cathode after years of service, much of it in RTTY mode.)  Since the
majority of folks who post on forums tend to be those with a gripe, I
thought I'd post my experience which is the opposite.   By contrast, I've
sent a VHF rig back to Yaesu three times without a resolution of a problem,
and finally gave up.  Also had problems with an ICOM IC-765 that was my
first "big rig".  So, I find the negative criticism of TT to be misplaced,
in my experience....

73, Duane

Duane Calvin, AC5AA
Austin, Texas