----- Original Message ----- From: "Darrell Bellerive" <drbellerive.va...@gmail.com>
To: <drakelist@zerobeat.net>
Sent: Friday, June 17, 2011 3:09 PM
Subject: Re: [Drakelist] Sidetones (was Ten-Tec and Drake Compared)

I notice that most vintage receivers provide a mute, at least the ones I've seen, yet it's use doesn't seem to be that popular. Was this just because the transmitters lacked sidetone or was there other reasons such
as timing or poor recovery?

73,
Darrell Bellerive
Amateur Radio Station VA7TO

Depends on what you mean by mute. Most really old receivers had a B+ switch, either for everything or for the RF stages. This acted as a mute when used with a suitable antenna relay. My original station used a BC-779 (Hammarlund Super Pro). I had a relay mounted on the back to work the B+. For CW it was bypassed simply by putting the front panel Send-Receive switch on Receive. That left the receiver live. I used an antenna relay but also had an auxilliary relay right at the receiver antenna terminals. I had just enough back wave from the transmitter to monitor my own CW. The transmitter was a heavily modified BC-375E. I now don't remember if it had some sort of tone generator on it for monitoring CW. If it did I didn't use it. I am curious now about which transmitters of the late 1940's to, say, 1960s had some sort of monitoring tone. OTOH, there were external monitors that would provide such a tone from sampling the RF. I have a Bud code practice oscillator that is rigged this way with a switch on the side to set it for monitoring. It worked by means of a small sampling loop. None of these tone generators would really tell you much about the air quality of your CW signal. Listening on the receiver would show up chirps or clicks right away as well as indicate the shaping of the characters. I remember some transmitters, maybe Collins S-Line, having a very identifiable fast attack long decay characteristic that gave them an odd chime-like sound.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles