Darrell -

Most equipment sold before the early 1960's was NOT 'integrated'. I would say the vast majority of ham stations had a receiver made by one company and a transmitter either homebrewed or made by another company. Johnson and WRL didn't make receivers, and National and Hammarlund didn't make transmitters. There were exceptions, but most did one or the other.

Just about all receivers had a pair of terminals that had to be shorted to activate the receiver if the front panel switch was in STANDBY, and just about all transmitters (or their associated antenna relays) had a pair of contacts to control the receiver.

Most electronic keyers had monitors built into them, and Bud and a few others made external boxes that sensed RF and generated a sidetone. A lot of us would listen to the transformer hum when the transmitter was keyed as our 'monitor'.

Collins radios were among the first to be 'integrated' with receivers and transmitters designed to work together, but even those didn't ALL have sidetone.

On the other hand, once the S-Line, Drake 4 Line, Heath SB pair, etc. came along, everything was working together and sidetone was standard.

Drake 2-B, 2-C/2-NT, 4-A, 4-B, C-Line
and TR-4/C Service Supplement CDs
<www.k4oah.com>

Darrell Bellerive wrote:
I notice that most vintage receivers provide a mute, at least the ones
I've seen, yet it's use doesn't seem to be that popular. Was this just
because the transmitters lacked sidetone or was there other reasons such
as timing or poor recovery?

73,
Darrell Bellerive
Amateur Radio Station VA7TO