Sent this earlier but it bounced as a fwd. Yes..one of the better reasons for having the fan on the back is so it WILL stay cool under a shelf.

Fans are excellent idea...even on the rx. They dont have to be on top to work well. m mounted on the rear of the finals cage pulling air out works just as well. Its not really like forced air cooling, all you are doing is removing the warm stagnant air from the cage reducing the temp of the ambient air around the tube envelopes. This allows the tube to shed heat as it was designed to do more effectively.

My R4x fan install is in the space between the bandpass box and the transformer and uses a small cardstock duct to pull air from the audio amp area out past the transformer. all runs cool to touch now. t4x top over the finals cage is also always cool.

I use the silenx fans..exteremely quiet.

See install pics here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/captcurt08/DrakeFanInstall

Cheers,

Curt