Don -

Yes, the only way the fan can stay on is if the AC power is applied to the PS-7 via that switch. This in turn means that the PS-7 supply is 'on', and applying power to the PA and Driver stages. The rest of the radio is 'off'. Sorry..... It sounds like the AC contacts are 'welded' closed.

Some have had limited success disassembling the switch and 'repairing' it, but as hard as it is to get to, much less the likelihood of it being repairable, plus the chance of damaging something ELSE while getting to it .......

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using a power strip to control these older radios with difficult, expensive or impossible to replace power switches. I'm so paranoid that when I have a piece on the bench, I turn it ON and THEN plug it in. Opposite, I unplug and THEN turn the power switch OFF. The good news is that I have yet to need a replacement switch!! :-) Computer strips are so cheap, many with individual switches for each outlet, it just doesn't make sense to do anything else.

Drake 2-B, 2-C/2-NT, 4-A, 4-B, C-Line
and TR-4/C Service Supplement CDs
<www.k4oah.com>

Don Cunningham wrote:
Garey,
Help an old man's brain remember something from the past. If the AC fan on my TR7 runs after I shut off the "RCVR GAIN" switch, does that tell me that the DC portion of the switch is working, but the "other side", the AC side is not?? I seem to remember that the TR7 has separate sections on that switch, and thought I'd ask before I pull the panel down, OR I'll just turn it off and on with the power strip and be happy, hi. I do have a parts rig with perhaps a good switch in it.
73,
Don, WB5HAK