From: Jim DiMauro <radio6...@yahoo.com>
Subject: [Drakelist] R-4C PTO Dial Mechanism Problem
To: "Drake List" <drakelist@zerobeat.net>
Date: Monday, October 10, 2011, 10:15 PM

Hi All:  Looking for some help on a problem with the PTO dial mechanism of a
nice R-4C that I bought some years ago but never put into service.  The dials
do not rotate at a constant speed, although I spin the knob at a constant
speed.  At a certain point in the rotation the dials abruptly speed up, then
return to  the slower speed until the whole works comes back 360 degrees
around.  Of course the dial calibration is constantly changing.  Thinking it
was nothing more than a dried out rubber bushing I changed it out, but it made
no difference whatsoever.  While observing the gear train in action I noticed
that there are two gears sandwiched together, one smaller brass gear with a
shaft bushing in the center, and the other a larger steel gear that rotates
around the brass bushing (see photos 006 and 007 here:
http://www.dcaconsulting.org/R4C_PTO/).  The steel gears didn’t seem to rotate
smoothly around the bushing, so I removed the dials and the
 gears and I can feel them bind at a certain point while rotating around the
bushing that holds them together.  I’m guessing that’s where my problem lies.
If so, then I probably need to find a replacement gear.  I’ve never been into a
Drake gear train before, so I don’t  know if I’m on the right track or not.
Also for those of you who are familiar with the gear train, please look at all
ten photos and let me know if anything obvious jumps out at you.  One thing I
noticed is that the kc dial disc doesn’t have a hub, but instead was just
sandwiched against the brass disc on the hundreds kc dial.  This is different
from what I have seen in material available on the web.  Any suggestions and
advice would be appreciated.  73,JimW2BVM
-----Inline Attachment Follows-----