Steve -

The resistor in question is a 150 ohm decoupling resistor, not a plate load resistor. It's not all that unusual for the low value carbon comps to fail shorted. Enough current to melt the binder into a lump of coal ('tis the Season) rather than enough to just vaporize it! Also an indication of 'some', not 'catastrophic' overload.

By the way, the reason for the wildly out of range Pin to chassis resistance is sometimes a matter of ohmmeter polarity, need to check both ways. The other problem is that Drake was not consistent in changing the Resistance and Voltage charts to reflect schematic changes.

St Charles, IL

Drake 2-B, 2-C/2-NT, 4-A, 4-B, C-Line
and TR-4/C Service Supplement CDs
<www.k4oah.com>

Steve Wedge wrote:
I think Garey had mentioned you can fry the plate resistor on V8 if you short
one of the trimmer caps while tuning it.

It's still odd to me to have a resistor fail shorted.

The 6HS6 will have the same switch settings as a 6AU6 but it has quite a bit
more gain and a different bias setting.

TV-10 D/U settings are:
tube     fil v    switches  bias    shunt     scale   button    min reading

6HS6    6.3     JR3-5672        12      ---     D       P3      3000
6AU6    6.3     JR3-5672        10      ---     D       P3      2050

The 6HS6 has quite a bit more gain (these are minimum, and I remember seeing
4200 from typical new ones).

Good luck.

Steve, W1ES/4