I think Garey had mentioned you can fry the plate resistor on V8 if you short
one of the trimmer caps while tuning it.

It's still odd to me to have a resistor fail shorted.

The 6HS6 will have the same switch settings as a 6AU6 but it has quite a bit
more gain and a different bias setting.

TV-10 D/U settings are:
tube     fil v    switches  bias    shunt     scale   button    min reading

6HS6    6.3     JR3-5672        12      ---     D       P3      3000
6AU6    6.3     JR3-5672        10      ---     D       P3      2050

The 6HS6 has quite a bit more gain (these are minimum, and I remember seeing
4200 from typical new ones).

Good luck.

Steve, W1ES/4