Dale,

I had a somewhat similar experience.  I hadn't written, as I was reluctant to
badmouth the De-oxit, as that seems to be the cleaner/lubricant of choice with
the Drake crowd.  I just figured it must be something else, and it probably is.
 I got some of the tiny pink $3 tubes (D-100L) at hamvention to see what all
the crowing was about.  My R-4A would cut-out on 40 intermitantly, but rocking
the bandswitch would restore operation.  It had been ~5 years since I had
cleaned and lubed it with Blue Shower cleaner and lubed with Blue Stuff for
tuners.  I very carefully cleaned the bandswitch with Q-tips and alcohol, then
lubed very sparing with De-Oxit on a Q-tip.  I was very careful to avoid
leaving cotton fibers in the switch mechanism.  When I powered up the next day
I had lost sensitivity according to the S-meter (signals from antenna as well
as calibrator were reduced from S9 or ten over 9 to S5-S7).  I checked for lose
tubes, etc., but found no cause.  I rechecked the sensitivity adjustment, but
no soap.

I had begun experiencing audio hum, so while I had the radio opened, I re-caped
the three sections of the electrolytic can at the same time as I cleaned the
bandswitch.  The hum do go away, and I looked for any big DC changes (due to
the re-cap) that might throw things off, but didn't see that.

I have been unable to conclude that I have AGC problems, which is what I might
first expect.  One good thing, my 40mtr xtal osc. circuit works better than
ever.  It has always been iffy, and I usually used the FS-4 when I was on 40
for that reason.

I will let you know if I figure anything out.  Suggestions welcome, although I
realize this isn't much to go on.  My first second, and third assumptions were
that I disturbed something to cause my problem.  This is my first experience
with De-Oxit. I am quite experienced with these types of radio repair.  I've
tried to imagine what I disturbed and check that, but to no avail so far.

Working at a relaxed pace,

KB8BKU, Darryl in Dayton