I have an HP VTVM and when I first got it, the range switch seemed
erratic.  I made the mistake of liberally applying De-Oxit to the switch  and
boy,
it got really erratic after that.  It took 2 or 3 days of leaving  it
outside in the summer sun to get the switch to dry out and it's been great
ever
since but  a very little bit goes a very long way.
I learned about De-Oxit from an HP service guy only back then it was called
 Cramolin and came in a small bottle as a liquid.  He would take a wooden
Q-Tip, dip it in the bottle and brush it on computer card edge contacts, and
 then wipe it off!  He claimed you only needed the very thinnest of films
to  insure a good contact.  I thought he was BS'ing me but have since learned
 my lesson.....

Steve KD2ED

In a message dated 12/23/2011 10:19:00 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,