Thanks for that clarification, Garey. I had never heard of "silver-bearing" solder. I've told you that I never was in electronics professionally, and only had the minimal USN training for radio ops, not the Electronics Techs that did get the full, "good stuff", hi.

The silver solder I was referring to I used as a young lad in an electrician's shop and had something to do with an appliance I had to repair. Now, this was 1963 or 64, so forgive my loss of memory on what it was, hi. I remembered using a small torch on a small gas bottle of some sort and it got REALLY hot, much more than I would use on a tube pin. Your explanation tells me now that I was at least partially correct.

That said, would you recommend silver-bearing solder in the 3-400/3-500's if we run across this problem in our amps?? I use 63/37 here nearly all the time, only use the 60/40 outside on the antenna wires in a larger size and was afraid the 63/37 would melt too easily.
73,and thanks as always,
Don, WB5HAK