Hi Carey:

I did exactly that a few years ago with my a version. It works really well and is a excellent way to get involved with SDR, the Software, and get a panadapter along the way.

You need to get the proper IF version softrock. The SDR needs to be tapped off of the 1st IF before the filtering. The SDR needs to be able to see unfiltered RF at the IF frequency.

You need as good a Soundcard as you can afford. The Delta44 is one of the ones widely used.

The connection to the main Rx is a bit touchy. I used a gimmick and a small cap but that is less than ideal. Clifton Labs offers a isolator on a small board that is the real answer.

The Softrock for the IF will be different. The coils are different as is the crystal. Tony Parks was good about answering questions and providing info. He can probaly supply the stuff you need to convert the 40M kit since I don't think the IF kit currently being done includes the Drake IF freq.

Hope this helps

Curt
KU8L