From: Garey Barrell <k4...@mindspring.com>
To: drakelist <Drakelist@zerobeat.net>
Sent: Thu, Feb 9, 2012 10:59 am
Subject: Re: [Drakelist] pan adapter

Curt -

OK.  Nothing wrong with FUN!!  :-)

If you're only looking for a 5 - 10 kHz window, then the Preselector won't be a
problem except
perhaps on 80 / 40M. It's not a steep skirt, so would still be useful further
out.

The Ensemble really is a cool little receiver. Tony and the rest have done an
outstanding job!

Drake 2-B, 2-C/2-NT, 4-A, 4-B, C-Line
and TR-4/C Service Supplement CDs
<www.k4oah.com>

Curt wrote:
Hi Garey:

Yes points well taken. In my case, I did this before the ensemble
was
available.  Had I had that
availability, I would have chosen to go that way as well.

It does work well tho.  I didn't see much of an issue at all with the
limitation from the
preselector. In practice, I was simply looking at perhaps +/- 5-10
KHz when
in CW sprint mode.
I liked the filtering so well in the SDR, that I worked a couple of
CW sprints
using the output
only from the SDR instead of the Drake mother Rx. Issues there were
the
delay and lack of a good
mute method.

Overall, it was a simple thing, no harm done to the Drake, a good
learning
exercise, but the lack
of tracking ability for the center frequency really limits the real
Panadapter
concept.

Mine was in an external, diecast shield box, so I did not have any
issues with
radiation from the
SDR.

All over again, would just build the Ensemble like you suggest.

Fun tho.

Curt
KU8L