On 14 August 2015 at 09:26, Kai Wasserbäch <kai at dev.carbon-project.org>
wrote:
> Emil Velikov wrote on 14.08.2015 10:17:
>> On 14 August 2015 at 08:59, Kai Wasserbäch <kai at dev.carbon-project.org>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> The reason sounds wrong. There was a similar discussion over at Mesa. I
>>> think
>>> you (as in hardware/driver vendors like AMD/Intel/Nvidia) need to push
>>> Valve (or
>>> the game devs through Valve or directly) to fix their setup. Steam runtime
>>> is
>>> fine and all, but please only pre-load it, if needed (ie. library foo is
>>> missing
>>> on the system and can't be installed through the package manager). IIRC the
>>> VMWare guys said in the Mesa discussion, they have a script in place for
>>> their
>>> virtualisation products, that checks whether a library needs to be loaded
>>> from
>>> their "baseline directory" or from the system.
>>>
>>> Working around a bug/design flaw in Steam's Linux version doesn't sound
>>> like a
>>> supportable solution in the long run. As long as you let them get away with
>>> that, you will face this problem over and over with different libraries.
>>> (For me
>>> it's usually libstdc++ (needed by LLVM), libncurses and a few X(CB)
>>> libraries I
>>> need to remove from Steam, before anything works. Though I do have script
>>> for
>>> that, that I can run after every upgrade, this is not a solution for
>>> everyone.)
>>>
>> Helping and applying pressure to resolve the issue is the way to go.
>> But until that is resolved it's great to have a solution that does not
>> lead to a crash. It feels rude towards you and other users to
>> deliberately use the problematic combo and expect from you to remove
>> libfoo.so.
>
> Well, I'd rather remove stuff from Steam's runtime than burden you and other
> developers with maintaing code that is unnecessrily ugly. (Though that's
> obviously just my opinion.)
>
>> When things get sorted out, we can easily replace this (a tad ugly
>> implementation) with libudev.
>
> As long as you allow this behaviour by working around it,
There is a saying (roughly translated to) "The wiser man always steps
back". Or we could/should be like Linus - "F* you $company"

> I don't see Valve/game
> developers "invest" in a real solution (because it works now). Businesses
> usually only move from a position, when there's outside pressure and a clear
> advantage to do so (here: no bug reports about crashing games).

There have been plenty of reports opened wrt
libudev/libgcc_s/libstdc++ on their trackers and seemingly limited
interest to fix things.

This is a catch 20/20 afaics. "FOSS drivers do not work thus they are
s**t" is how a sizeable hunk of people think. They rarely consider
what the actual issue might be, because "I installed the nvidia/amd
proprietary drivers and things work now".

> Anyway, this was just my two cents and you can obviously decide in any way you
> deem to be the best.

Personally, I'd love if there was no "options" and we can just use
libfoo. Who knows Valve devs might get a wake up call and fix the
problem ?

-Emil
P.S. Fun fact: Valve's annual "TI" Dota2 tournament managed to
accumulate some 66 million USD gross income, over 100 days.