On Sat, Apr 07, 2001 at 08:03:38PM -0700, Joseph Carter wrote:

> After a few hours, the machine will lock up if I have the drm module
> loaded.  It runs fine for days on end without it, so it's probably AGP
> related.  Lockups happen a lot faster if I run a GLX app that uses more
> than a few textures.  gears and similar run just fine, but something such
> as QuakeForge will lock up the system usually within a minute.  By lockup,
> I mean that the machine no longer responds to the keyboard and the monitor
> pops up its no signal message.  SysRq commands still work, but remote
> logins don't.

I'm also seeing lockups with Quake3 on my ASUS P2B-DS dual Celeron board
with my Radeon VE 32MB DDR.

Sometimes it will play fine for a few CTF games, but it will usually die
somewhere in the game.  It seems to die either one of two ways -- either
the screen will go blank or become corrupted (for example, scanning the
first scan line for the entire screen while my second head on a PCI
card remains fine), or the screen will just freeze.

In the latter case, the machine will not respond to sysrq.  In the
former case, it will, and I can unmount and reboot cleanly.

At first I thought it was heat-related, but I've tried with a fan added
manually to the VE card's chip and with extreme amounts of air through
the entire case, and the lockups seem just as frequent.

I've also tried different AGP bus speeds (1, 2, and 4x).  No difference.

I've also tried "nosmp".  No difference.

I've also tried 24/32 bpp vs 16 bpp.  No difference.

This has been happening ever since I got the card working, and over
quite a few versions of DRI-CVS.  The latest checkout I've tried is from
about a week ago.

I have yet to see anything die while I'm not playing Quake 3, so it seems
GL-related.  I suppose I should try running UT for a while and see if
similar lockups occur.

Simon-

[  Stormix Technologies Inc.  ][  NetNation Communications Inc. ]
[       [EMAIL PROTECTED]       ][       [EMAIL PROTECTED]        ]
[ Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employers. ]