On Fri, Apr 13, 2001 at 05:02:42AM -0700, Joseph Carter wrote:

> Actually, what is REALLY freakin' weird is that it seems to work just
> about to the point that I start typing something, at which point the next
> thing I type has to start with SysRq because it's locked tight..  It's
> truly bizarre, and nobody seems to have the slightest idea what could be
> causing it.  I've tried every suggestion I've been given at least once -
> some with disasterous (but fixable, thankfully) results like changing AGP
> driving strength.  Setting it to the suggested value caused the box not to
> boot at all.  Old ISA video card to the rescue.

Hmm!  Where is this option?  I can't seem to find it in my BIOS anywhere.
Perhaps it's only an option on newer boards.

What other things have you tried?

> I suspect we're seeing different problems, and I've pretty much concluded
> that whatever the hell is wrong, it's specific to my particular setup.
> It'd most likely take someone with an identical motherboard and video card
> (possibly also running at 100MHz as I am running it) to duplicate the
> problems I am having.  I'm keeping my eyes open, but at the same time I'm
> looking into the possibility of a PCI card to replace my Voodoo2 and
> possibly some sort of setup that way.

Actually, I'm running the bus at 100 MHz.  Dual Slot1 300A Celerons
drilled & soldered to run at dual 450 MHz, but I left that part out to
increase the validity of my report. ;)

> > Sometimes it will play fine for a few CTF games, but it will usually die
> > somewhere in the game.  It seems to die either one of two ways -- either
> > the screen will go blank or become corrupted (for example, scanning the
> > first scan line for the entire screen while my second head on a PCI
> > card remains fine), or the screen will just freeze.
> >
> > In the latter case, the machine will not respond to sysrq.  In the
> > former case, it will, and I can unmount and reboot cleanly.
> [..]
> > I have yet to see anything die while I'm not playing Quake 3, so it seems
> > GL-related.  I suppose I should try running UT for a while and see if
> > similar lockups occur.
>
> Well, if yu manage to track down the problem, I would be interested in the
> result.  How does it work if you disable the use of the second head?

I haven't tried.  It's on a PCI board (not the second head of the
Radeon VE), so I didn't think it would be affecting it.  As I'm running
out of other things to try myself, I'll try this in a bit.

Simon-

[  Stormix Technologies Inc.  ][  NetNation Communications Inc. ]
[       [EMAIL PROTECTED]       ][       [EMAIL PROTECTED]        ]
[ Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employers. ]