Gareth Hughes wrote:

> Sure, but not to people in the general open source community, and with
> the demise of PI/VA, I would say the chances of a driver done by anyone
> other than ATI are slim to nil.  Isn't that what we're talking about?

I agree that the general open source community is not a viable solution,
either in terms of its capability or in the willingness of IHV's to release
specs to such an audience.  But there are still quite a few 3rd party
companies with expertise comparable to PI/VA that are still in operation.
For example, Intelligraphics recently completed a project that runs a
Windows OpenGL client on the DRI framework for non-consumer HW used in
flight simulation.

I don't see the "chances" of a driver being much less without PI/VA.  As
before, it all comes down to money.  If the general open source community is
a large enough market or exerts enough influence upon an IHV's bottom line,
then that IHV will act.  Decisions such as using internal resources,
outsourcing, and opening the source are up to the IHV and will go one way or
the other.

Steve Urquhart