On 27 Apr 2002, Michel Dänzer wrote:

> On Sat, 2002-04-27 at 18:31, Leif Delgass wrote:
> >
> > When we get the MMIO path working for ppc, I think we'll still have to
> > make some changes for DMA.  When filling the vertex buffers and setting up
> > the descriptor tables, won't we have to convert to little-endian?
>
> Yes, unless the chip can byte-swap this stuff, but I doubt it as not
> even the Rage128 can, only the Radeon.

I see that Rage128 swaps all writes to the ring buffer, but why doesn't it
also need to swap data when filling the vertex buffers in the Mesa driver?

Looking at the mach64 utah-glx driver, it swaps both the register
addresses (which have been converted to dword offsets) and data that go
into the vertex buffer.  For pseudo DMA, it converts back to big-endian
when reading the register offsets from the buffer before converting them
back to byte offsets.

--
Leif Delgass
http://www.retinalburn.net