On Fri, May 24, 2002 at 01:54:52PM -0700, Keith Packard wrote:

>We have an agreement in principle for DRI to use the XFree86 CVS tree
>instead of their separate tree on sourceforge, but that hasn't happened
>for reasons I don't understand.  While that won't fix everything, it

I think that's overstating it.  Several people have agreed at
various times that it would be a good idea, but that isn't the same
as both groups agreeing to merge their development trees.

The DRI project and its various sub-projects have different goals,
development cycles and models to XFree86, and I don't see any good
reasons to force either project into the other's model.  The
branch-based development model is different, as is the CVS commit
access policy.  It's largely because of a difference in development
cycles, for example, that the current XFree86 trunk hasn't been
merged in yet.  The current DRI development is intended to be usable
with XFree86 4.2 rather than requiring the current XFree86 development
stuff.  Things like this mean that what is now the DRI trunk would
be a branch within the XFree86 CVS anyway.  From my experience with
many DRI<->XFree86 merges, the level of effort required isn't much
different than for branches within a single CVS.  One reason for
this is that the XFree86 trunk is a (vendor) branch in the DRI CVS,
so with the exception of the import phase (which is a no-brainer),
it boils down to a branch merge either way.

As for moving code in both directions, there are 3 people with
commit access in both places and who have experience with CVS merges
and the DRI code.  The only reason why the DRI and XFree86 CVS
repositories are as diverged as at present is their different
positions within their development cycle.  When the DRI developers
are ready to work with code closer to the XFree86 trunk than to
XFree86 4.2, that resync will happen.  I don't think this is impeding
DRI development progress, but it if is, someone should let me know.

David
--
David Dawes
Release Engineer/Architect                      The XFree86 Project