On 2002.06.12 18:49 Keith Whitwell wrote:

I totally disagree here...

> The dri-users list was founded on the idea that there might be a class
> of 'power users' out there who would altruistically help newbies get
> their setup working so that 'real developers' could concentrate on
> loftier ideas.

That would be indeed nice, but when that doesn't happen I think we should
give them a help. If the developers were the only consumers of the the DRI
drivers, then why bothering having a webpage, user FAQs, user manuals,
users installation guides, etc.? (Unless that's only to catch more
developers..)

> That class of power users haven't really emerged, if anything it is the
> power users who are crying for help in the blackness of dri-users, as
> everyone else just sucks whatever comes with their distro.

I noticed several times that users do answer to other users when they know
the answer. It seems that most of that class of power users has migrated
to dri-devel, by force of the circunstances, i.e., because it was there
where all developers where...

> Again - I think the people on dri-users would be better off just posting
> to dri-devel.  As it looks like we've got to monitor both lists, why
> bother having a second list?  I know I give less attention to posts with

To separate the development issues from, .e.g, installation problems. I
personally wouldn't like to have my dri-devel mbox full with cryies for
help - if that happened I effectively would make my procmail seperate
those into another mbox.

In theory, dri-devel should be mainly for communication between all
developers and beta-testers. The dri-users should be for everybody else.
This is what I see in many other projects and it works quite well.

> [dri-users] than [dri-devel] -- perhaps I think that people posting
> there will never do any development, so I won't be "repayed" by spending
> my time on them.

So if they post to dri-devel then somehow they are qualified as developers
and will actually do anything!?

> Shut it down, let them post on dri-devel.

Yeah! Let's burn Rome! ;o)

> Keith

I personally think we shouldn't do this, but I'll go for what the majority
decides - after all it's what's the majority will do in the end that will
really matter. So, speak up now, or forever remain quiet...

José Fonseca