"Peter Soetens (Kaltan)" wrote:

> On Wednesday 12 June 2002 19:49, Keith Whitwell wrote:
> >
> > The dri-users list was founded on the idea that there might be a class of
> > 'power users' out there who would altruistically help newbies get their
> > setup working so that 'real developers' could concentrate on loftier ideas.
> >
> > That class of power users haven't really emerged, if anything it is the
> > power users who are crying for help in the blackness of dri-users, as
> > everyone else just sucks whatever comes with their distro.
> >
> > Again - I think the people on dri-users would be better off just posting to
> > dri-devel.  As it looks like we've got to monitor both lists, why bother
> > having a second list?  I know I give less attention to posts with
> > [dri-users] than [dri-devel] -- perhaps I think that people posting there
> > will never do any development, so I won't be "repayed" by spending my time
> > on them.
>
> Please also look it from the other side : do the dri users want to get the dri
> devel mails ? That could just be a bit to much mail pouring into their
> mailboxes that doesn't help them anyway.
>
> If you want my opinion, I vote for users & devel

Peter has a point, here.  Besides, what's the difference between
tracking 20 e-mails on one list and 5 e-mails on a second list; vs 25
e-mails on a common list?  Perhaps I'm showing my lack of sophisticaed
e-mail prowess :-)

> and damn close that bugtracking system.  Look at what the KDE
> people use for bug tracking, now that's what i call neat
> (together with the nice KCrash backtracer).
> http://bugs.kde.org/

I'm certainly as guilty as anyone for letting the cruft build up in the
SF bug tracker.  However, from a TG commercial perspective, I will need
to closely track all bugs specifically related for certain DRI
projects.  I can track those on a private internal database, or I can do
it on an open DRI database.  Either will work for me.  However, I do
think tracking on an open DRI database would be better for the DRI
project; and I would prefer to use the slow SF bug database then take on
the much larger task of setting up a new system.

         Jens Owen            /  \/\ _
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  /    \ \ \   Steamboat Springs, Colorado