On Fri, 2002-09-27 at 17:01, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> > Yep, but I guess you have to worry about then going to sleep *after* the
> > interrupt has arrived, if there is a delay in getting the scratch write across
> > the bus, compared to the irq, which should be instantaneous.
>
> Is that really an issue? The scratch register is written to before the
> interrupt is triggered, so I'd expect a register read to yield the
> correct value when the interrupt has arrived.

Interrupt delivery on x86 is extremely asynchronous on some systems -
especially Pentium II/Pentium III SMP boxes. You can sometimes see
situations like

IRQ raised
driver clear irq allowed flag
driver reads PCI bus to force posting
driver free some resources
IRQ arruves
driver explodes

In almost all cases PCI/IRQ synchronization isnt quite what you might
intuitively wish for or expect.