Alright, after clearing out my local copy of the mesa-4.1 branch, I pulled
everything again and was able to build that branch without any problems.

I've done some basic testing so far.

This is on a dual proc, 1ghz., PIII.  Via chipset.  2x AGP, 64 meg
aperature.  512 megs of RAM.  Radeon 8500 (128 meg version)

It looks like I'm seeing some speedups across the board.  Nothing huge,
but glxgears is reporting an extra 300 fps or so and most games that I've
tried so far just feel smoother.

Quake3Arena dies when it goes to load a level to play:

VM file ui compiled to 594408 bytes of code
ui loaded in 1963008 bytes on the hunk
35 arenas parsed
32 bots parsed
VM file cgame compiled to 786818 bytes of code
cgame loaded in 5380768 bytes on the hunk
drmCommandWrite: -22
drmRadeonCmdBuffer: -22 (exiting)

UT and Rune run just fine.

gltron displays/plays fine, as does tuxkart.  I haven't tried tuxracer
yet.

heretic2 has some problems, but they also show up in the trunk :-)
Basically, any sort of flashing (like if my character throws a fireball),
causes a huge drop in the framerate.

I've also given it a shot under FreeBSD.  The results with GL applications
(both native and linux through the binary compatability layer) are the
same.   *However* the X server itself seems rather unstable.  At first, I
couldn't figure it out; everytime I went to start X, the server would
start up for a split second and then die.  After some experimenting, I
discovered that the problem was gkrellm, which was in my .xinitrc.  More
specifically, it seems to be any gtk-2.0 application.  In addition, when I
switched to kde3 as my window manager, the same thing happened.  So, I can
run enlightenment without any problem.  However, if I start any gtk-2.0
apps, or kde3 apps (maybe it's qt?), the X server will die :-)

I'll continue testing when I have the chance.

Adam